Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Disappointed, but Striving

If you are already very stressed, do not read on, for it will only stress you further.

If you are not very stressed, I suggest you go do some serious work to stress yourself up for exams. Adrenaline helps, yea?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This has been a horrible semester for me.

In my opinion, things (ok, academic work and results) went downhill since inter-sem.

Back in May-June this year, I took Desktop Publishing. I pretty much regret that decision.

Firstly, the tutors that taught me during inter-sem were not the one who teaches the subject during term time. To make things worse (or better, for some people), these tutors focused alot on journalism. Too much, in fact.

For people who cannot write well (that's me, by the way), this is a disaster. We were expected to come up with the stories, interview, write the stories, take pictures, lay the page. Basically, it's a head-to-toe job, simply for 4 Academic Units. Sure, the final product was great (we produced the annual campus magazine called INTUNE), but we were pretty much left on our own to fiddle with the layout (which the bulk of the course SHOULD be on).

At the end of the course, I received a pathetic B that pulled my overall GPA down.

I told myself, it's okay. I'll just work harder this semester to pull my GPA up again.

Only to find that I dislike almost half of the subjects I'm taking. The other half is on subjects that I cannot do well in.

Here's the overview:

CS 201: History and Theories of Communication Studies (I HATE history. No part of the piggy's brain is used for memorising, not at ALL)

CS203: Newswriting and Reporting (Did I say I can't write? Guess what? A C and D for my first two tests. WOW.)

CS 224: Interpersonal Communication (The lecturer is disappointing. Sometimes I wonder what she is doing in school. Teach? Sorry, but I don't think there's significant input from her. Not to mention that the verbal and non-verbal cues she sends out are totally discouraging and not fit to build a constructive interpersonal communiation environment.)

CS229: Basic Audio and Video Production (I enjoy the filming and the visual editing process, but I dislike sound editing. Guess what? Sound editor for final project. I'm so gonna flunk it. Plus, I'm not intending to go into Electronic and Broadcast Media. Why am I spending so much time on this and doing this to myself? Good thing is, this is one of the most enjoyable subject that there's something new to learn everytime.)

CS 816: Information Literacy (Compulsory subject. Takes away my Fridays, but on the whole, it's still okay. Just that my grade for the second assignement was not satisfactory.)

HE 191: Principles of Economics (Thanks to my double major, I have to take this easy course. I expect an A for this, but right now, a 14/20 for my quiz which stands for 30% is not exactly for encouraging. Some say it's not fair, as we have different test papers. Count on my luck, or lack of, because the highest in my class -16/20- seems to be the average for other classes. Then again, it's easy, and I enjoy refreshing all these theories.)

Enough of ranting, the ever-optimistic, amazingly-happy-always QueenPig will CHIONG and try to do my best.

Maybe I need to learn to be less of a perfectionist, maybe I need to stop comparing too much with myself, maybe I need to lower my own expectations...

Labels: ,

posted by QueenPig @ 3:38 PM

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Name:
Location: Singapore

QueenPig. The ruler of the kingdom. One of its kind. Legend has it that she will be exceptionally XXX. The rest is up to your imgaination.